Before you upload your Microsoft Word template to Josef, please ensure you have reviewed your document with the following in mind:
- Are the document designs and formatting finalised?
- Are advanced Microsoft Word features (such as cross-references, table of contents, hyperlinks) updated or removed?
- Does your document have the right name?
Please make sure you have considered the points below and finalised your document before you upload it into Josef. While we are working on supporting these features, if you need to edit your document in the ways described below, you will need to re-upload your document and re-apply the automations.
Are the designs and formatting finalised?
Josef currently does not support the following types of editing within the Word editor:
- Adding new tables (such as additional signature table blocks for additional parties)
- Adding new bullet point styling
- Adding new images such as logos
- Editing headers and footers
- Editing font style, size, and colour/highlighting (but you can access the format painter tool)
- Editing page margins
- Text justification
Josef also currently does not handle automating tables within tables. We recommend removing the table within a table before uploading the document.
Are advanced Microsoft Word features (such as cross-references, table of contents, hyperlinks) updated or removed?
Some advanced Microsoft Word features are locked in Josef, meaning you are unable to edit or automate it within the Word editor. These features include:
- Cross-references. Please update cross-references in your document before uploading it into Josef. If a clause contains a cross-reference, please note that we currently cannot insert variables into that clause.
- Special fields such as a table of contents: please update the table in Word before uploading your document into Josef.
- Hyperlink: please update any hyperlinks before uploading the document into Josef.
- Checkboxes: ticking checkboxes is currently not possible using Josef automation. We recommend that you replace the checkbox with other appropriate wording, if possible. Alternatively, you may leave the checkbox within the document and leave it as a manual task.
Does your document have the right name?
Currently, the name of the document you upload is the document that is generated. For example:
Document uploaded name: Employment Agreement
Generated document name: Employment_Agreement
Please make sure you give your document a name that you want your users to download and see.
Last but not least, the Josef team is on a quest to make document automation as simple and easy as possible. If some of the items mentioned above are causing issues for you, please send your feedback to firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll share it with our product team.